Welcome to my 1st Blog

I decided to start this blog to keep a record of my training season before my 1st Ironman!! I hope friends and family enjoy the next 6 months journey!!

Monday, May 30, 2011

The Perils of IM Training

Well, I learned a valuable lesson the other day about how dangerous cycling can be. My coaches' wife, and training partner, Wendy, was hit by a car about 30 miles into our ride last Wednesday. I was really thinking the worst when we got the call as we were ahead of her by a few minutes. We both turned around and rode quickly to get back up to where she was. Fortunately, she was sitting up when I got there and coherent. There is alot of traffic on this main road and some smaller neighborhoods where cars come out onto the main road. Sometimes they shoot through gaps and can be hard to see. She caught the truck at the last minute and tried to swerve, hitting her left side into the truck and actually dented it. She had a sore shoulder and arm. We followed her to the hospital down the street for an X-ray. Good news is that she is alright and it could've been much worse. Bad news is that she broke her arm. She ended up having surgery on Friday to put in a titanium plate and is still looking at doing the Ironman in 4 weeks. She is as tough as they come and a true IRONWOMAN. I can't believe how calm she was about her arm being sore and it was broken!!!

I'm just thankful that she came out with just a broken arm and honored to train with someone that has so much resolve and toughness. I hope that I can show some of her mental and physical toughness come Ironman day!!

No comments: