Welcome to my 1st Blog

I decided to start this blog to keep a record of my training season before my 1st Ironman!! I hope friends and family enjoy the next 6 months journey!!

Friday, May 6, 2011

Kids....great spirit and inspiration

I was headed to my Friday 3K swim this morning and it was raining. I was kinda dreading getting into the water as I was still cold from my 2K swim yesterday....When I arrived at Ala Moana park, I was greeted by 100's of High School kids wearing swim caps and also running around the park. They had parents and teachers cheering them on as I wondered what was going on. I thought it was odd that there was an organized event on a Friday. As I got closer to the water, I watched a few groups of students run out of the water, change, and then go for their run. Lots of cheering and encouragement! It made it so easy for me to get into the water and just swim. I stopped a bunch of times to cheer and watch the kids swimming towards their goal. I'm still not sure, but I think it's a PE type test for HS kids here in Hawaii. I asked and some of the kids had to swim a 3K and then run. That is not easy at all and it gave me tons of energy watching the last few struggle to make it in. What a great day and inspiration those kids were, who I don't even know, on a cold, damp Friday in Hawaii!!! Inspiration is everywhere, sometimes it's right in front of you....I'm really glad I didn't bag the swim!!!

No comments: