Welcome to my 1st Blog

I decided to start this blog to keep a record of my training season before my 1st Ironman!! I hope friends and family enjoy the next 6 months journey!!

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Wind, the Great Equalizer...

Another EPIC 100-mile ride took place yesterday. I arrived at the park early and noticed the wind howling when I stepped out of the car. We had 15 - 25 mph trade winds with much higher gusts. I was dreading the ride at this point because I know how significant those winds can be along the coastline, which happens to be most of our ride...

The winds weren't too bad heading out as we had a big group of 25+ cyclists pulling us out for the first 15 miles or so. We also had a nice tailwind heading out to our turnaround at about mile 50; however, the wind was blowing hard from the water and our bikes were constantly being thrown back and forth from the crosswind. I enjoyed that part of the ride and it was good training for the Half IM that is coming up in 2 weeks. The winds over in Kona can be pretty brutal, so it's good to get some training days in those types of conditions.

As I expected, we hit the headwinds immediately on the return trip and it started to pour buckets on us. The traffic was pretty heavy on this 2-lane road as it was Saturday morning, so we eventually decided to pull off at a store and just hang out for a few minutes in hopes it would blow over. It was pretty brutal trying to keep the bike straight in that wind with the traffic and rain!! Good character building I guess. We were able to wait it out and return to what turned out to be a pretty good day overall!! My legs were tired early in the ride, but felt better at mile 50 and I never really hit my down point. Usually that happens around 4 hours, but I just kept going and felt pretty good overall.

We were talking about how the Half Ironman ride is going to seem much shorter then in year's past due to all the mileage we are riding now. I'm really curious to see how I feel on the bike in that race in 2 weeks.

Off to do a 20-mile run, then a Monday recover day!!

No comments: