Welcome to my 1st Blog

I decided to start this blog to keep a record of my training season before my 1st Ironman!! I hope friends and family enjoy the next 6 months journey!!

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Week 3 - And the Wheels came off

Ok, so I'm really pretty excited about swimming again. I've been back on the bike for a couple of weeks now and don't really hate it at this point like I did back in 2009, and my run seems to be in pretty good shape following a lengthy layoff....Just when I was getting comfortable, I pulled a complete rookie move and BLEW UP MY LEGS!!!

I added a Tuesday ride of 35 miles after the morning swim with my friend Emily! Nice, steady pace just to get the distance in. Then, for some reason, on Thursday, I decided to follow my coach up Tantalus 2.5x. Now, if you recall from my 1st week's post, I could barely climb Tantalus once. Now, here I am trying to follow Eric up and down the mountain like I had been riding for awhile. Well, my legs were pretty spent, but it was a Thursday and I had 36 hours to recover before my next ride, so I thought no big deal. Yeah, well come Saturday, my 40 mile ride was quite interesting. I had absolutely no leg strength. I kept looking at my heart rate, my speed, and I couldn't figure out why I was going so SLOW!! I was quickly dropped from the group we rode with and was really tired at 20 miles. I could barely get up climbs that shouldn't take that much effort. I was very frustrated and left that day not wanting to ride again....cursed my old bike up and down all the way back for 20 miles while I was thinking....Why am I doing this again!!

Needless to say, after the week finished, I had increased my mileage by 25% from 75 to 100 miles and added seriously quality with the Tantalus rides.....Big ERROR.....It's okay to either add mileage or increase quality training, but to do both (and so early in the season) is a recipe for FRUSTRATION!!! I have since discussed with my coach and we have a new plan being developed to build up my endurance first, then focus on the speed and quality!! I feel alot better about my new schedule AND my new bike should be here in a week!!!!

No comments: