Welcome to my 1st Blog

I decided to start this blog to keep a record of my training season before my 1st Ironman!! I hope friends and family enjoy the next 6 months journey!!

Thursday, March 3, 2011

3-Week Cycling Block

Last week, I began a 3-week cycling focused block. I had to squeeze in 3 rides in 4 days as I was leaving for Vegas on Thursday for my 40th birthday celebration with Ann!! My plan was to ride 50 miles on Monday, and then split the remaining 70 on Weds/Thurs. I would also ride 20 miles on a bike in the gym in Vegas for a total of 140 MILES!!

MY LIFE FLASHED BEFORE MY EYES:
My first ride was the most interesting of the week. I felt good and my legs were strong that day. I started later then usual (about 10:00) and traffic was lighter then usual due to President's Day. Coming back, there is a climb that takes you to the top of Makapuu (named after the light house on the South Side of the island). Once you crest the climb, you drop down a steep hill that gets your speed up to 40 mph with hardly any pedaling....There is a walk/hike up to the light house, so the roads had cars on both sides. I noticed people running across the road, so I got on the brakes and slowed my role to about 25 mph. I also moved to the center of the road (as is common here) so that I wouldn't get hit by a door opening or people crossing. My eyes were focused on the left side watching for both. Out of the corner of my eye about 20 yards in front of me, a black SUV pulled an illegal U-Turn right in the middle of the road. The car was completely perpendicular to the hill and I had to slam on my brakes. My back wheel slid out a bit to the left which helped me get over to the right. Problem was, the SUV didn't stop coming across the road and left a very narrow gap between this and the cars parked on the left side of the road. Somehow, I clipped the SUV with my left front handlebars (on the top hood) and stayed upright. I have to believe my 10 years of cycling came into play to keep the bike up. I was perfectly fine and so was my bike, but I was livid!! I yelled and threw my hands up, but I don't think that guy even realized what happen. Hopefully, I put a nice long scratch or dent into his hood as a reminder of his stupidity. Needless to say, the rest of my ride was uneventful. I rode Weds/Thurs without incident as well. It's just a freak unexpected thing that goes to show how stupid drivers (and cyclists in some cases) can be. Always got to be on the lookout when riding on those streets!!!

This week, I'm riding 165 miles, and on my new bike, so looking forward to the change

No comments: