Welcome to my 1st Blog

I decided to start this blog to keep a record of my training season before my 1st Ironman!! I hope friends and family enjoy the next 6 months journey!!

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

IM Rookie - 1st Week Swim

My first week of training was quite the spectacle. It's the first time I've been on the bike or swam in about 18 months, and WOW it felt that way. My first swim was at Kaimana Beach with a triathlete group, BOCA, that I used to train with. One of the coaches hosts a free swim 2x a week and its a great way to get back into swim shape in a group setting! This may sound funny to those that live in cold weather, but it was freezing that first morning and I did not want to get in the water!! I showed up at 6:45 in a long sleeve shirt and sweat pants...The water was very cold and it took me a good 5 - 6 strokes to gain my breath back! Once I settled in, I swam out to the Wind Sock that denotes the channel. The waves were up that day and I had quite a ride getting out to the channel. At one point, I felt a little sea sick as I kept bobbing up and down with each wave that came in. This feeling turned into a bit of fear as I turned and swam back towards the beach and was swept up by the waves. I was body surfing all the way back and it turned out to be fun (when there wasn't a rock in the way)....We finished the swim with some drills and I was so out of breath that I thought about swimming back in to shore...After I figured out that I wouldn't drown, I man'd up and stayed out there to finish the workout. By the time I got back to shore, I was dizzy and tired.....Welcome Back to Triathlon, ROOKIE!!

No comments: